Professional Development Grant Program
About the Professional Development Grant Program
The North Central Region SARE (NCR-SARE) Professional Development Grant Program supports state professional development programs and competitive grants for training agricultural professionals.
Professional Development Program (PDP) competitive grants emphasize training agricultural educators in extension, Natural Resources Conservation Service, private, and not-for-profit sectors, using farmers as educators and addressing emerging issues in the farm community. Generally:
- Professional Development Program awards range from $30,000 to $75,000
- Projects may last up to 36 months
- About 5-10 projects are funded each year
- A sample call is available throughout the year, but you should always consult the current call for proposals when applying
- The portfolio of research grants is reviewed and awarded on an annual timeline
Applicants are educators who often represent, but are not limited to, Extension, Natural Resources Conservation Service, and non-profit groups.
PDP competitive grants are awarded for state and multi-state PDP projects that emphasize cross-agency training, using farmers as educators and addressing emerging issues in the farm community.
Funding decisions are made by NCR-SARE's regional Administrative Council, after receiving feedback from a review committee. The Administrative Council is a collection of farmers, ranchers, university representatives, nonprofit representatives, Extension and NRCS people, other government employees, and agribusiness representatives. This group sets research priorities and recommends projects for funding.
Before writing a grant proposal, determine a clear project goal and explore previous research. It often helps to contact NCR-SARE, local agriculture groups, the Natural Resources Conservation Service, and/or Extension educators to share ideas and invite participation. Use this website or call 612-626-3113 for resources to help you write your proposal.
Useful Information for the Professional Development Grant Program
- NCR-SARE Professional Development Program fact sheet
- Previously funded Professional Development Program projects on the National SARE database of projects
- Reporting information for the Professional Development Grant Program
- The Professional Development Program grant-making timeline
- SARE Calendar of Events
- Other Resources
- Educational and Training Opportunities in Sustainable Ag -- Compiled by the National Agriculture Library
- SARE National Continuing Education Program in Sustainable Agriculture: Sustainable Agriculture: Basic Principles and Concept Overview (Course 1)
Contact Rob Myers, the Professional Development Program Coordinator, if you have questions about the competitive Professional Development Grant Program.